Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Bubbl.us

I was finally able to get the image of my bubbl.us bubble diagram about a school uniforms brainstorming session off the website and onto my blog. I think that mind maps like these are wonderful to get kids to brainstorm or summarize/synthesis their understanding of material, however, I did face significant technological barriers and I worry that my students would face similar challenges, especially as we only have one computer lab for the entire school to use, which is usually booked. I usually have students do this by hand, and honestly, I am not convinced that the digital version is any easier or quicker. Though it is adaptable and editable, usually I use this technique as a quick brainstorming or visualization before a paper, discussion, or research.

1 comment:

David said...

Brandon,

I, too, am not convinced of the necessity to use digital idea mapping instead of just hand-written idea maps. Perhaps, however, the time spent designing digital maps would facilitate greater focus on ideas, and the map could be used in a section in a final paper focusing on pre-writing or reflections on the process of writing. I created a digital map using Inspiration software, and also ran into technical issues. If I had known how much more accessible Bubbl.us is in comparison, I would have used that program.

David