Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Online Role-Play

I didn't feel as involved in the discussion as I would have liked to--while I was interested by the argumentative aspect, I just have a difficult time talking online. I have limited access time on the computer and was limited this week from that point, but it was compounded by the nature of the posting. It was not linear, it was not divided by issue or stance, so at times it became impossible to respond--to know whether someone has already made you point, to know if anyone would read a response that was to a post three days old, to pick and choose who to respond to, etc... Most of my time was spent reading the other posts and then I was either too tired, bogged down with thoughts, or out of time to respond.

I also had a hard time know what others thought of my comments since the discussion was not synchronous or in person--I have a hard time arguing deeply without instant reactions. Collaboration was difficult and shallow at times because I felt there was too much competition, I couldn't build on others well because small nuances were unexplained to me. Evidence was also so abundant that there was no time for a discussion of the bias or appropriateness of the evidence. Without the time, and the voice of power (as I was a student) I felt I was on the outside and not taken seriously or able to keep up with where the discussion was going. The discussion was also too free-flowing and not ordered by argument for me--there was no closure on the issues or clash.

Personally, the discussion didn't affect my opinions much. I am very neutral and don't feel that I could have an educated opinion on the issue yet. I think if there was indeed an actual policy proposal I would be more inclined to do research and become more involved. I think that the role-play is great in allowing anonymity in your arguments because regardless of personal belief, you can be free to be anyone you want. I personal enjoy taking the opposite opinion in a role-play of what I personally believe--I feel I can argue for the opposite side better because I understand who I am against better. All and all the role-play is something I would love to try to incorporate into my classroom and use it as a conversation starter and teachable moment as well.

1 comment:

David said...

Brandon,

You raise a lot of issues that I agreed with. If I brought this into the classroom, I think it might be best to use a series of due dates for students to a) state initial position, b) respond to 2-3 others positions, and c) provide counter-arguments or further support for stated position to those who responded to your initial claim.

Also, the performance of role-plays within the classroom environment just makes more sense to me, and provides more opportunities for reflection in class.

- David