Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Digital Poem

Creating a digital poem using PowerPoint was difficult, but well worth the effort. It can make a poem more interactive and also I am able to highlight aspects of the poem that I find significant; therefore students would be able to do the same. I did however take a long time and requires for many of the triggers and motion paths, much PowerPoint ability and patience. I think that the activity may be too difficult to expect students to do well only at home, and without having excessive amounts of computer lab and tutorial time, the assignment may be too difficult in my current setting. The power the project unlocks is exceptional though--again, the power to add multi-media to the poem, to create a veritable thought web while presenting the poem, sounds, images, ideas, highlighting alliteration or rhyme within the poem's words, adding video and hyperlinks--there is just so much to engage the reader with the poem. The final problem I have run up against is the fact that I cannot seem to get the poem posted to the internet without ruining the triggers and timing of the PowerPoint since it is not simply a series of slides, but runs more like a movie.

1 comment:

David said...

Digital poem via PowerPoint seems kind of like an oxymoron to me. The idea of creative minds using media traditionally found in relatively sterile, seemingly creativity-free environments is refreshing. Kind of like taking back the streets! Still, if I intend the final product to more or less play like a movie, I think I'll stick with other video production programs. Still, I commend the major effort to overhaul traditional video narratives!