Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Final Project

http://northhighschool.webaloo.com/turnerenglish10.aspx

My active English 10 course page. I have developed an entire trimester to digital media and media literacy. In addition to the curriculum, the website itself functions as part of my final project.

In previous years, we have had a short (3-4 week) unit on Media Literacy, and the unit has seemed rather stale, with old videos from the 80s and worksheets, not the kind of thing I want to be using while telling students about how to use and read new media. I spent the majority of my thought from this class creating the class website and the curriculum itself for the entire trimester. I have created distinct units: Blogging, Newspapers, 2D Visual Ads, TV Commercials, and Newscasts, along with other internet and new media experiences. While I have been able to maintain the required writing assignments, vocabulary, and grammar, they have become incorporated into hands-on project units. So students will not only learn literary and media terms, but they will have to apply them in the creation of a professional-like product, while also writing about the choices they made, focusing on the vocabulary and grammar pointers along the way. Students have so far responded quite enthusiastically.

1 comment:

David said...

Brandon,

This is very professionally done. Totally impressive. Stream-lined. In regards to other points, it's amazing that so many engaging teachers hold on to materials that are so freakin' dated. I'm always impressed with teachers that routinely present multi-media texts that are engaging and move the creative mind forward. Something I long for someday.

Excellent work all semester. Enjoy the time off from school and work-school coming up!

David G.