Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Interactive PowerPoints

I created many PowerPoints for my final project for a unit I am doing on Media Literacy. I tried to include more questions in these PowerPoints, along with activities that I used in conjunction with the slides. I reduced the length and amount of text, and in others, included pictures and videos instead of words. I wish that I could imbed more videos in the presentations, but I just didn't have the time before the lesson to get all of the information. I also made us of using the PowerPoint to jot down notes from the students directly on the PowerPoint, making students feel part of the presentation, it allowed for all students to see what someone just said--nothing needed to be repeated and there is a log of what was said that we could go back and work through and analyze. When used in class, students seemed to be interested much more than with a regular PowerPoint--usually they groan when a teacher puts on a PowerPoint because so many do it and it usually means notes notes notes and listening. I wish I could have added more moving objects and better more interesting transitions and animations. The PowerPoints were wonderful once created, however, the creation process takes quite a bit of time compared to less interactive ones. Finding multimedia to imbed, sounds, images, videos, etc. etc. took quite a bit of time, however, I feel it is better that way so it is worth it. Having students respond and asking questions in the PowerPoint is helpful, effective, and quite easy. However, I fear that too many questions and using that strategy too often just creates a new "tradition" of PowerPoint presentations. 


Introductory PowerPoint on Media Literacy




PowerPoint on Communication

1 comment:

David said...

Brandon,

I found that it was more simple to create the powerpoint presentations in powerpoint and just export them into the more interactive forums prior to making editions that may be more dynamic and engaging that might not be possible in regular powerpoint.

At the same time, I had some questions about how functional or existent a powerpoint presentation is without a presenter present to present. (Couldn't resist fun with words.) The very nature of powerpoint presentations suggest that they are only worth the degree of which an engaging presenter captures the attention of the audience.